The name Henrik Vibskov is most commonly associated not only with a fashion label, but a multitude of twisted yet tantalising universes created in relation to each collection.
“The Transparent Tongue“, “The Stiff Neck Chamber“ and “The Shrink Wrap Spectacular“ are just a few titles of shows Henrik Vibskov has produced lately, each title referring to a different but equally mesmerising world and set of logic.
As a fashion designer Henrik Vibskov has produced over 20 mens (and later also womens) collections since he graduated from Central St. Martins in 2001, and he is currently the only Scandinavian designer on the official show schedule of the Paris Mens Fashion Week, which he has been since January 2003.
Since the beginning of his career Henrik has frequently been invited to and participated in festivals, contests and talks such as the Swiss Textile Awards 2003, Hyeres Festival 2003 & 2004, Expo 2005 Japan, the Noovo Festival 2007 in Santiago de Compostella, the LungA Art Festival in Iceland 2009 & 2010, the Notch Festival in Beijing in 2009, Gwangju Design Biennale in South Korea in 2011, the Rohsska Museum in Gothenburg 2011, and many more.
Although Henrik has a principle of never giving away clothes to celebrities for commercial purposes, people like M.I.A., Kanye West, Bjork, The Arctic Monkeys, Sigur Ros, Franz Ferdinand, MUM, Lou Reed, LCD Soundsystem or Devendra Banhart have all been spotted in Henrik Vibskov’s designs.
Between designing new collections biannually and creating the universes surrounding them, Henrik keeps himself occupied as the drummer at the moment with his own project Mountain Yorokobu signed to Fake Diamond Records and exhibiting at art museums and galleries around the world. Henrik has made exhibitions at PS1 – MoMA in New York, Palais de Tokyo in Paris, ICA in London, Zeeuws Museum in Holland, Kiyomizu-Dera Temple in Kyoto, Japan, Wilhelm Wagendfeld Haus in Bremen, NAI Nederlands Architectuur Instituut in Rotterdam, Holland, The Textile Museum, Washington, USA and Galerie Emmanuel Perrotin in Paris, in collaboration with Elmgreen & Dragset, just to name a few. In 2013 he presents solo exhibitions at Galleries Lafayette in Paris and Gammel Strand Museum in Copenhagen.
With visual artist Andreas Emenius he created an ongoing art project called ‘The Circular Series’, which they begun to work on in 2009. Like in their earlier collaboration ‘The Fringe Projects’, in this project the circle is used as a clarifier, or visual glue, linking all the projects to the same universe.
Henrik Vibskov’s collections are sold only through thoroughly selected shops across the globe. 10 Corso Como in Milan, Tom Greyhound in Seoul, RA in Antwerp, Magasin in Moscow, Club 21 in Singapore and his own Henrik Vibskov stores in Copenhagen and New York are a few of the most influential stores, but also countries in the burgeoning markets of the Middle East and Eastern Europe have embraced Henrik’s designs.
Throughout his career Henrik’s designs have won him prizes such as the Becks Student Future Prize 2000, Aarets Nye Navn 2003, Danish Design Council Award 2007, Brand of the Year DANSK Magazine Fashion Awards 2008, a Præmieringen from the Dansh Arts Foundation in 2009, the 2011 Soderberg prize, the highest value design prize in the world, as well as the Jury Prize at the Danish Fashion Awards in 2012.
Henrik Vibskov has frequently given lectures and been a jury member at institutions such as Central Saint Martins in London, The Istituto Europeo Di Design in Madrid and the Antwerp Royal Acadamy of Fine Art amongst others.
In 2012 a monograph of Henrik’s work was published by Gestalten.
Henrik Vibskov Resume
- Part of the exhibition mörk kostym at RöHSSKA MUSEUM GOTHENBURG, October.
- The Blowhole Observatory - Installation at Film Plus Design Eindhoven, October.
- Workshop pact 12, Essen, October.
- Blickfang Hamburg, October.
- Hotel Pro Forma, Hungary, October.
- Basic Instincts Shenzen China, September.
- HV curates Asger Jorn's collection, Museum Jorn, Silkeborg, September.
- Vibskov & Emenius Cirkular Series 1-4 - Stockholm. August.
- “The Transparent Tongue” SS13 – Copenhagen, August.
- The Eat installation showcased at Espoo Museum of Modern Art, Helsinki, July
- Pop Up Store, Roskilde Festival - Roskilde, July
- Part of "New Nordic" exhibition at Lousiana Museum, Copenhagen, June
- “The Transparent Tongue” SS13 – Paris, June.
- Morando Palace Milan - June
- Hotel Pro Forma Costume design for "War Sum Up" - Riga, June
- Mindcraft Brullexs - June
- Scenography design of 7 landscapes - Arnhem, June
- Performance for Medwinds Mallorka - Mallorka, May
- Mountain Yorokobu Music Project - Copenhagen, May
- Hotel Pro Forma Costume design for "War Sum Up" - Brighton, May
- Talk at the xxx - Helsinki, May
- Talk at the Istituto Europeo Di Design - Madrid, May
- The Henrik Vibskov book release launch! – Berlin, April.
- Lecture and talk at Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas – Lima, November.
- Lecture and talk at Central Saint Martin – London, April.
- “MINDCRAFT 12” groupexhibition by Danish craft – Milano, April.
- Henrik Vibskov solo exhibition at Gallery Ruttkowski 68 – Cologne, April.
- Vibskov & Emenius The Circular Series, Section 2 – Stockholm, February.
- “The Shrink Wrap Spectacular” AW12 – Copenhagen, February.
- “The Shrink Wrap Spectacular” AW12 – Paris, January.
- Talk at the Louisiana Museum – Copenhagen, December.
- “Drumming Friday” – Charlottenborg, December.
- Talk at the Norwegian Fashion Institute – Oslo, November.
- Exhibition at the Röhsska Museum – Göteborg, November.
- Opening of 100 Days Amsterdam, retail concept – Berlin, November.
- Lecture and talk at ADA – Göteborg, November.
- Hotel Pro Forma Costumes “War Sum Up” – Riga, October.
- Hotel Pro Forma Costumes “War Sum Up” – Odense, October.
- Hotel Pro Forma Costumes “War Sum Up” – Riga, October.
- “The Curious Sonic Tank”, performance – Seattle, October.
- Hotel Pro Forma Costumes “War Sum Up” – Oslo, September.
- Vibskov & Emenius Section 6, two limited edition screen prints – September.
- Hotel Pro Forma Costumes “War Sum Up” – Riga, September.
- Vibskov & Emenius at Gwangju Design Biennale – Gwangju, September.
- “Panopticon and On” SS12 – Copenhagen, August.
- “Basic Instincts” – Berlin, June.
- “Panopticon and On” SS12 – Paris, June.
- Henrik Vibskov wins the Torsten and Wanja Soderberg Award 2011 and shows his work at a solo exhibition at the Rohsska Museum in Gothenburg. November.
- Hotel Pro Forma: ”War Sum Up” - Henrik creates costumes for the Latvian National Opera, Riga. September.
- Vibskov&Emenius exhibit at The 4th Gwangju Design Biennale, South Korea. September.
- ”Panopticon And On” show, SS12. Shows in Paris and Copenhagen. June/August.
- ”Basic Instincts” - Henrik creates the scenography for a multidi- scipinery group exhibition, Berlin. June.
- Vibskov&Emenius exhibit at the New Benaki Museum, Athens. May
- New York City Henrik Vibskov Boutique opens. April.
- “The Eat” show, AW11. Shows in Paris and Copenhagen.
- Shades Down In Tokyo Town - group exhibition, Tokyo. November.
- An Astral Trip - Exhibition at Notch Festival, Guangzhou, China. October.
- Trentemøller European Tour, performance & set design. October.
- “The Last Pier Pandemonium” show, SS11. Shows in Paris, Copenhagen and Milan.
- Vibskov & Emenius Fringe Project 10, Brazil. September.
- Vibskov & Emenius The Circluar Series Section 4 - exhibition and performance, Washington Dc. July.
- LungA Art Festival in Iceland - workshop. July.
- Vibskov & Emenius Fringe Project 10, Shanghai. June.
- V Man Show, New York. May.
- “Space for Fantasy”, Galeries Lafayette Haussmann -
group exhibition. March.
- Nerderlands Architectuur Instituut Rotterdam (NAI) -
“Bodybuilding” installation and performance. March.
- “The Panda People and Other Works” -
Book relaease and lecture, Pool Gallery, Berlin. March
- “The Slippery Spiral Situation” show, AW10, Copenhagen, February
- Graphic Works Berlin - Solo exhibition of graphic
works at Pool Gallery, Berlin. February.
- Vibskov & Emenius Circular Series Section 2 -
Exhibition at Wilhelm Wagendfeld Haus, Bremen. January.
- “The Slippery Spiral Situation” show, AW10, Paris. January.
- Circus Hein - Costumes for Jeppe Hein’s remake of “Circus Calder”, Seche, France. December.
- Vibskov & Emenius Japan - Fringe project 10, Kyoto. December.
- Graphic Works - Solo exhibition of graphic works at Kunsthal Brænderiga?rden, Viborg, Denmark. November.
- Notch 09 Festival Beijing China - show and installation. November.
- Paperball Exhibition - contribution to the Museum of Art and Design, New York. October.
- Scenography for Danish musician Mikael Simpson at Norrebro Theatre. October.
- The Magnetic Mind Field - Installation and performance at Kunstindustrimuseet, Copenhagen. October.
- Vibskov & Emenius The Circular Series Section 1 - costume design for music video of the band “Mew”. September.
- “Its A Small World” - Contribution to exhibition at the Danish Design Center, Copenhagen. August.
- “Sylfiden” - Costume design for the play in A?rhus, Denmark. August.
- Award from the Danish Arts Council for “The Solar Donkey Experiment” show.
- “The Solar Donkey Experiment” show, SS10. Shows in Paris and Copenhagen. June/August.
- Set design for Trentemøller concert on Orange Stage at Roskilde Festival. July .
- Judge of graduating collections at Antwerp Royal Academy Of Fine Arts. June.
- Judge of graduating collections at The Central Saint Martins College Of Art And Design. June.
- Fabric for Thought - Exhibition at Koldingshus Museum, Denmark. May.
- Workshop REDYELLOWWHITE - three workshops in three days, three countries and three different colors. May.
- Hyeres Festival - Video of Fringe Project 8 shown. April.
- Exhibition Fringe Project 1-10 at Zeeuws Musem in Middleburg,
Holland. February 27.
- Release of book ”The Fringe Projects 1-10”. Published by JapSam
- Exhibition The Visit at MU Gallery in Eindhoven, Holland. January
9 – February 28.
- ”The Human Laundry Service” show AW09. Shows in Paris and
- Performance Vibskov/Emenius Fringe Project #4 at Gallery
Nieuwe Ontwerpers 6. in Rotterdam, Holland. January.
- Exhibition VVV EEE Fringe Projects Research Department at Senko Studio. November.
- Exhibition Vibskov/Eminius Fringe Project #5 at Illustrative in Zurich, Switzerland. October.
- Exhibition The Ideal Man at Gemeentemuseum in Den Haag July.
- Vibskov/Eminius Fringe Project #8 Launch on www.showstudio.com. August.
- Release of Vibskov/Emenius Fringe Project #2 beer, made in collaboration with the Danish micro-brewery Mikkeller. April.
- Exhibition collaboration with Elmgreen & Dragset at Perrotin in Paris. March.
- Exhibition Vibskov/Emenius, Fringe Project #7 for The Grand Danois at Milan Design Week. April.
- Henrik Vibskov receives the Dansk Fashion Award in the category ”Best Brand”. April.
- Opening of Henrik Vibskov Boutique in Oslo. August.
- ”The Tent City” show SS09. Shown in Paris, Copenhagen, Seoul and Mexico. June - November.
- Henrik Vibskov tours Europe with electronic musician
- Workshop at The Istituto Europeo Di Design in Madrid.
- ”The Mint Institute” show AW08. Shows in Paris, Copenhagen and St. Andrews, Scotland.
- Exhibition ”A Danish Dowry” at DDC in Copenhagen. November. - Solo exhibition in Cuxhaven, Germany. September.
- Works presented at Biennalen for Kunstha?ndværk og Design
2007 Trapholt and Koldinghus in Kolding. May.
- Exhibition ”LAND OF BLACK CARROTS” at DDC in Copenhagen.
- Exhibition for the Arnhem Biennale in Armhem, Holland.
June.- Exhibition Emergency Room at PS 1 MoMA in New York.
- The Danish Design Counsil gives Henrik Vibskov design award
sponsored by Grundfos.
- ”THE FANTABULOUS BICYCLE MUSIC FACTORY” show SS08.
Shows in Paris, Copenhagen and Nuuovo Festival, Santiago de
- ”LAND OF BLACK CARROTS” Collection show AW07. Shows in
Paris, Copenhagen. January/February.
- Exhibition ”The Cyklys Snake” at The Danish Embassy in Paris, December.
- Exhibition ”The Candles” at V1 Gallery in Copenhagen, November.
- Exhibition USE IT at DDC in Copenhagen and Megaron In Athens. July.
- Exhibition Unik at Gewerbemuseum in Wintherthur, Switzerland. June.
- Opening of the HV store in Copenhagen. October.
- Costumes for theater play Sylfien, Aveny T Theater in
- ”The Big Wet Shiny Boobies” Collection show SS07. Shows in
Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, St. Andrews in Scotalnd and at the at
the Mid-E Festival in San Sebastian, Spain.
- The Big Wet Shiny Boobies Collection SS07 show in Paris. July. - The ”Cyklus” Collection show AW06. Shows in Paris, Berlin,
Copenhagen, and St. Andrews, Scotland. January/Febraury.
- Participated in exhibition ”USE IT” in Hong Kong and Tokyo. November.
- Exhibition ”Breve” at Mads Nørgaard Store in Copenhagen. September.
- Exhibition ”Madsen” in Malmo? and Stockholm, Sweden. June.
- Exhibition at Felleshus der Nordischen Botschafte in Berlin,
The Airplanes project. January.
- Exhibition at Palais de Tokyo in Paris, ”The Dogs”. December.
- ”The Mirror” SS06 Collection. Shows Paris and Copenhagen.
- ”Don’t Walk” charity show at St Andrews College in Scotland
April. The Blinded by Firework Collection.
- The ”Toti” AW05 Collection show in Copenhagen. February.
- Exhibition at Factory in Tokyo. Mixture of Vibskov classics.
- Exhibition Airplane project at DDC (Danish Design Center). June.
- Exhibition at Nieves Studio in Zurich, Switzerland. May.
- Exhibition at the Hyeres Festival. April.
- Exhibition and showroom at Gallery Birthe Laursen in Paris,
- Exhibition at Kunstraum in Berlin, Germany, January.
- The ”Blinded by Firework” SS05 collection. Shows in Paris and
- The ”Dancing Frogs” AW04 Collection. Shows in Paris and
- Exhibition at V1 Gallery in Copenhagen, Denmark. November.
- Show and exhibition at V1 gallery in Copenhagen. August.
- Exhibition at Palais de Tokyo in Paris during the Men’s Fashion
- 3 shows and an exhibition at the Hye?res Festival, France.
- Exhibition at V1 gallery, Copenhagen. April.
- ”Don’t Walk” charity Show for breast cancer care, at St. Andrews
College, Scotland, March.
- Awarded. Name of the year in Danish fashion. Tivoli’s Concert
hall in Copenhagen October. Taken off from the stage after criticizing the Danish minister of culture.
- Exhibition at Hamburg Gallery, Germany. November 18.
- ”The Pigs Collection” shows in Tokyo and Hamburg.
- ”Back on My Feet” Collection. Shows in Paris. October.
- ”The Eye” collection. Shows in London, Paris, Copenhagen and
at St. Andrews College in Scotland.
- The Royal Danish Art Foundation Staten’s Kunstfond grants
Henrik Vibskov a two year starting scholarship from January 2002.
- “The Future Map” exhibition at Millbank Gallery, London. The Pigs Collection. November.
- ”The Egg” shows in London, Edinburgh, Liverpool, New York and Newcastle.
- ”The Pigs” Collection, show in Copenhagen.
- The Danish National Television DR, Broadcasts a documentary
about The Pigs Collection and Henrik Vibskov, August 23,
26 and 28.
- Selected for the press show at Central Saint Martins, London,
UK, June 7.
- Short listed for Beck’s Future Prize 2001 for the film The Egg.
- ”The Monk” shows in London, Manchester, Madrid, Glasgow. - Received Beck’s Student Future Prize 2000 Overall winner
1. prize for the Film the Monk.
- Brighton Independent film Festival The Monk version 2,
The Lab Cinematique, Brighton, UK.
- Student at Central Saint Martins College of art and design – menswear.
- ”The Monk” Collection show in Copenhagen and Aarhus.
- Working For the Danish Pre?t a? Porter fashion company Bruuns Bazaar Copenhagen – Paris with installations, images, videos and set design.
- Exhibition at Peder Sabro Seminaruim, Aarhus, Denmark. - The Paki Huju collection show in Copenhagen and Aarhus.
- Student at Hillevi Van Deurs Design School in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1. Prize in a Breakdance - Electric boogie Competition
- Born in the Country Side of Jutland, Denmark
Site built with Indexhibit